Resources for Families of Detained Individuals/Recursos para familias de personas detenidas

Español abajo.

What to do After a Loved One is Detained by ICE 

This document provides information and resources for families and friends of people detained by ICE in Oregon. It provides information about how to locate your loved one, how to communicate with them and send them money, how to find them a lawyer, how to support their legal case, and how to find their next court date.  


My loved one was detained by ICE. How do I find them? 

If detained in Oregon, they will be processed at an ICE office in Oregon (Medford, Eugene, or Portland) and then transferred to a detention center, usually the Northwest ICE Processing Center (NWIPC) in Tacoma, WA. Processing usually happens within 1-2 days. 

The easiest way to locate your loved one is: 

ICE Online Detainee Locator System at:  

  • You will need their name, country of birth and either their date of birth or their A # (alien registration number, a 9-digit number found on most immigration paperwork) 
  • If you do not know the A#, you may be able to find it by searching by name and date of birth. Note the A#, as you will need it to look up their next court date.  
  • Once you enter the information, the webpage requires you to solve a math problem to proceed. The problem will be addition or subtraction and the answer will be between 0 and 20. (e.g. If the problem is 10-6, you will put 4 into the empty field, click “Check Answer,” and then click “Search by A-number”) 

If you do not have the above information, you can try to find the individual using the website for depositing funds in the detained person’s account. See the section: “How do I send money to a detained person?” 

If you cannot find your loved one online, you can try calling ICE at 253-779-6000 Ext 14.  


How can my loved one make phone calls from the detention center? 

Detained individuals must pay for phone calls from the NWIPC.  Family and friends can deposit money in a detained person’s phone account by going to and locating them by name. You can deposit money for a detained person to make phone calls generally, or to call your number specifically. There is a 7% transaction fee. 

A detained person can also make collect calls, meaning that the person who answers the phone will be charged for the call. If you are having trouble receiving collect calls from the detained person, you should call 1-866-348-6231. 

IMPORTANT: You should assume that ICE is recording and listening to all phone calls from NWIPC, except for attorney calls where the attorney has specifically requested the number be exempted from monitoring. 

Can I call a detained person?  

You cannot call a detained person directly. They must call you, or you can call and leave a message for them. 

How can I leave a phone message for a detained person?  

To leave messages for a detained person, you can call 253-396-1611. Messages must be short and usually serve only to prompt the detained person to call you back. You can also pay to leave a voicemail message for a detained person by calling (888) 516-0115. 

How can I send money? 

You can make deposits online at, by telephone at 1-866-345-1884, or by using one of the machines in the lobby of the NWIPC  

There is also an option to mail or drop off a U.S. Postal Money Order, but you should call NWIPC for current details.  

You can deposit money for telephone use at or by using one of the machines in the lobby of the NWDC. Both you and the detained person should receive a receipt for any funds accepted. 


Will my loved one get a lawyer? 

The U.S. government does not provide public defenders in immigration court. You must either pay for a private attorney or find an attorney to represent you for free. 

Some people will be eligible for a free attorney through the Equity Corps of Oregon (ECO), a program funded by the state of Oregon to provide free, high-quality lawyers for Oregonians detained by ICE. 

ECO will attempt to place qualifying people in detention with a free attorney to represent them.  To qualify for an ECO attorney, you must be  

1) An Oregon resident; 

2) Are low-income; and  

3) Do not have a lawyer representing them in immigration court.   

The Northwest Immigrant’s Rights Project also provides legal assistance to those detained at NWIPC. They can be reached at 877-814-6444 

When will my loved one get an attorney through ECO? 

While we make our best effort to match each eligible participant with a free lawyer, we cannot guarantee a match.   

Locating quality counsel takes time. We may not be able to appoint a lawyer right away or before the first hearing. It is very common for people to appear for their first hearing without an attorney. Your loved one has the right to represent themselves in immigration court. At their first hearing, your loved one can ask the judge for more time to find an attorney.  

When is it necessary to talk to an immigration attorney IMMEDIATELY? 

ECO tries to place participants with attorney as soon as possible, but we cannot place every case right away. While all detained cases are urgent, some are more urgent than others. If your loved one has been scheduled for their first court date it may not be necessary to speak to an attorney right away or before the court date.  

Here are some examples of situations where it may be necessary to talk to an immigration attorney right away: 

• If a judge previously ordered them deported (for a missing a court date or for losing their case), even if a long time ago; or 

• They had contact with immigration at the border and may have gone through “expedited removal” at the border – which is a quick, administrative form of deportation without seeing a judge); or 

• If they are being transferred out of the Oregon/Washington area; or 

• If they last entered the country on the visa waiver program. 

If any of these have happened, they could be facing a rapid deportation without a hearing and should consult immediately with a trusted immigration attorney to try to stop the deportation. If think your loved one may fit one of these criteria, be sure to alert the ECO navigator so that they can flag the urgency.  

How can my loved one contact ECO? 

There are two toll-free numbers your loved one can call from NWDC to get navigated into ECO: 

  • NWIRP’s Legal Orientation Program: 877-814-6444 
  • Pueblo Unido’s detention hotline: 503-912-8925 (toll-free, line is open Tuesdays and Wednesdays 9am-5pm, except federal holidays)  

How can I help support my loved one’s immigration case? 

Contact Pueblo Unido to get your loved one navigated into ECO, if you think they may qualify: 503-360-0324. 

Collect relevant documents, which may include documents from prior immigration cases, birth certificates and other vital records, and criminal records. Contact any prior immigration lawyers to get a full copy of their file. 

Gather letters of recommendation for your loved one from family, friends, community members, faith leaders, and anyone else who can speak to your loved one’s character and contributions to their community. The letters should be signed and dated and should contain the loved one’s full name.  

It is important to speak to an immigration lawyer before submitting any documents to the court. Not all documents will help your loved one’s case, but it may be helpful to collect what you can to provide to the lawyer.  

What is a bond? Can my loved one request a bond? 

A bond is money paid to the government to secure the detained person’s release, in an attempt to ensure that the detained person will go to all court hearings and comply with the judge’s final order.  Unlike in criminal court, immigration bonds must be paid in full. The bond money will be returned to the obligor (the person who pays the bond) when the case is completed; this can take many years in some cases.  If the person released on bond is released and then later fails to appear in court or for an ICE check-in, the obligor may not receive the bond refund. The obligor must be at least 18 years old and have legal status in the United States.  

Not everyone who is detained will qualify for a bond.  

How long will they be detained?  

This is a difficult question to answer and depends on the particular case. The length of detention can vary from a month or less to more than a year.  


How can I find out when my loved one’s next court date will be? 

You can find out when and where the court date will be by visiting or calling 1-800-898-7180 and typing in the A-Number. Spanish assistance available at or the same phone number (press 2 for Spanish) 

If you need more information, you can call the Tacoma Immigration Court directly at 253-779-6020. Press zero (“0”) to skip forward and speak with court staff. 

Inglés arriba.

Qué hacer después de que un ser querido es detenido por ICE 

Este documento proporciona información y recursos para familiares y amigos de personas detenidas por ICE en Oregon. Proporciona información sobre cómo localizar a su ser querido, cómo comunicarse con ellos y enviarles dinero, cómo encontrarle un abogado, cómo apoyar su caso legal y cómo encontrar su próxima cita en la corte  


Mi ser querido fue detenido por ICE. ¿Cómo los encuentro? 

Si son detenidos en Oregon, serán procesados en una oficina de ICE en Oregon (Medford, Eugene o Portland) y luego transferidos a un centro de detención, generalmente el Centro de Procesamiento de ICE del Noroeste (NWIPC) en Tacoma, WA. El procesamiento generalmente ocurre dentro de 1-2 días. 

La forma más fácil de localizar a su ser querido es: 

Sistema de localización de detenidos en línea de ICE en:  

  • Necesitará su nombre, país de nacimiento y su fecha de nacimiento o su A# (número de registro de extranjero, un número de 9 dígitos que se encuentra en la mayoría de los documentos de inmigración) 
  • Si no conoce el A#, es posible que pueda encontrarlo buscando por nombre y fecha de nacimiento. Tenga en cuenta el A#, ya que lo necesitará para buscar su próxima cita en la corte.  
  • Una vez que ingresa la información, la página web requiere que resuelva un problema matemático para continuar. El problema será sumar o restar y la respuesta estará entre 0 y 20. (por ejemplo, si el problema es 10-6, pondrá 4 en el campo vacío, haga clic en “Verificar respuesta” y luego haga clic en “Buscar por número A”) 

Si no tiene la información anterior, puede intentar encontrar a la persona que utiliza el sitio web para depositar fondos en la cuenta de la persona detenida. Vea la sección: “¿Cómo envío dinero a una persona detenida?” 

Si no puede encontrar a su ser querido en línea, puede intentar llamar a ICE al 253-779-6000 Ext 14.  


¿Cómo puede mi ser querido hacer llamadas telefónicas desde el centro de detención? 

Las personas detenidas deben pagar las llamadas telefónicas del NWIPC.  Los familiares y amigos pueden depositar dinero en la cuenta telefónica de una persona detenida yendo a y localizándolos por su nombre. Puede depositar dinero para que una persona detenida haga llamadas telefónicas en general, o para llamar a su número específicamente. Hay una tarifa de transacción del 7%. 

Una persona detenida también puede hacer llamadas por cobrar, lo que significa que a la persona que contesta el teléfono se le cobrará por la llamada. Si tiene problemas para recibir llamadas por cobrar de la persona detenida, debe llamar al 1-866-348-6231. 

IMPORTANTE: Debe asumir que ICE está grabando y escuchando todas las llamadas telefónicas de NWIPC, excepto las llamadas de abogados en las que el abogado ha solicitado específicamente que el número esté exento de monitoreo. 

¿Puedo llamar a una persona detenida?  

No se puede llamar directamente a una persona detenida. Deben llamarte, o puedes llamar y dejarles un mensaje. 

¿Cómo puedo dejar un mensaje telefónico para una persona detenida?  

Para dejar mensajes para una persona detenida, puede llamar al 253-396-1611. Los mensajes deben ser cortos y por lo general sólo sirven para incitar a la persona detenida a que le devuelva la llamada. También puede pagar para dejar un mensaje de correo de voz para una persona detenida llamando al (888) 516-0115. 

¿Cómo puedo enviar dinero? 

Puede hacer depósitos en línea en, por teléfono al 1-866-345-1884, o utilizando una de las máquinas en el vestíbulo del NWIPC.  

También hay una opción para enviar por correo o dejar un giro postal de EE. UU., Pero debe llamar a NWIPC para obtener detalles actualizados.  

Puede depositar dinero para uso telefónico en o utilizando una de las máquinas en el vestíbulo del NWDC. Tanto usted como la persona detenida deben recibir un recibo por los fondos aceptados. 


¿Mi ser querido conseguirá un abogado? 

El gobierno de los Estados Unidos no proporciona defensores públicos en los tribunales de inmigración. Debe pagar por un abogado privado o encontrar un abogado que lo represente de forma gratuita. 

Algunas personas serán elegibles para un abogado gratuito a través del Equity Corps of Oregon (ECO), un programa financiado por el estado de Oregon para proporcionar abogados gratuitos y de alta calidad para los residentes de Oregon detenidos por ICE. 

ECO intentará colocar a las personas calificadas en detención con un abogado gratuito para que las represente.  Para calificar para un abogado ECO, debe ser  

1) Un residente de Oregon; 

2) Son de bajos ingresos; y  

3) No tener un abogado que los represente en la corte de inmigración.  

El Proyecto de Derechos de los Inmigrantes del Noroeste también brinda asistencia legal a los detenidos en NWIPC. Puede comunicarse con ellos al 877-814-6444 

¿Cuándo conseguirá mi ser querido un abogado a través de ECO? 

Si bien hacemos nuestro mejor esfuerzo para asignar a cada participante elegible con un abogado gratuito, no podemos garantizar que sea asignado.   

Encontrar un abogado de calidad lleva tiempo. Es posible que no podamos nombrar un abogado de inmediato o antes de la primera audiencia. Es muy común que las personas comparezcan para su primera audiencia sin un abogado. Su ser querido tiene derecho a representarse a sí mismo en la corte de inmigración. En su primera audiencia, su ser querido puede pedirle al juez más tiempo para encontrar un abogado.  

¿Cuándo es necesario hablar con un abogado de inmigración INMEDIATAMENTE? 

ECO intenta colocar a los participantes con un abogado lo antes posible, pero no podemos ubicar todos los casos de inmediato. Si bien todos los casos de detenidos son urgentes, algunos son más urgentes que otros. Si su ser querido ha sido programado para su primera cita en la corte, puede que no sea necesario hablar con un abogado de inmediato o antes de la fecha de la corte.  

Aquí hay algunos ejemplos de situaciones en las que puede ser necesario hablar con un abogado de inmigración de inmediato: 

• Si un juez ordenó previamente su deportación (por faltar a una cita en la corte o por perder su caso), aunque sea hace mucho tiempo; o